Monday, April 21, 2014

Finally Baby Chicks

Ireland has been begging for baby chicks for a very long time... we finally gave in

Michael worked all weekend on a chicken coop and I tried to educate Ireland and myself on how to take care of them. I also tried to explain to her that the babies would grow into chickens

She didn't care to hear all of that... all she sees are cute little things. We got these on Saturday and they seem to be growing like crazy. It may be my imagination but I'm sure they are already slightly bigger. They are Rhode Island Reds... I heard the eggs are the best. Hopefully they will survive and grow into chickens and will still let Ireland pet and hold them.

Sunday we spent the day with my family. I took a couple of pics and really love this one


 I've been pretty busy so progress on the socks has been slow


I really messed up the gusset, but there is no way that I'm going back. I'll just have to remember to mess up the second one, so they'll match. Maybe I can show more in a few days.

Have a peaceful week



11 comments:

  1. While I grew up on poultry farms, I have never raised chickens as an adult, but would like to. I hope Ireland and you enjoy raising your little flock of chickens, Liz. Until I get some, I will enjoy watching yours grow :) I also enjoy watching your other projects grow although I have not typed to you in awhile. Your socks are coming out beautifully! I have knit some socks with coaching. Your pretty socks encourage me to want to knit some more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The chicks are interesting and they grow sooo fast. They already want out of their coop. So Michael will just have to expand it I guess. I am addicted to the socks right now. I need to get back to crocheting. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful chicks, congraulations, beautiful pictures, bye, ania

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend's uncle has chickens. Him and his family raised some of them from chicks. I swear that one of them is a dog at heart. Her name is Popcorn (can you tell one of the kids named it?) and she will sit on your lap! She even goes for car rides! It's pretty amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I bet Ireland hopes her chicks will do that. She has named only one (Molly) so far. The rest look too much alike.

      Delete
  4. Nothing cuter than a little peep and her chicks. Have fun with them.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squeee!! Those chicks are the cutest! Little soft sweet things, I can see how you girl loves them! What a great idea to have chickens (and fresh eggs!), if I could I'd have them too! The picture is pretty indeed, could be a postcard or something! Your sock is colorful and lovely, I wouldn't go back if I were you either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little chicks are cute. I have a small "family" of chickens - two which are rhode island reds. They are by far my favorites of the group. I think they are the sweetest of the bunch. Good luck with them.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. My neighbor came over last night wanting to know if I wanted three small chicks that someone gave him. Thankfully, he didn't have them with him or I wouldn't have been able to say no! Love the sock. It is beautiful.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had two broody hens so acquired some fertilized eggs for them to sit on. We now have eight hens and a handsome cockerel that love to join us in the house, especially when the fire is lit. They even share the dog food with our two Yorkies!
    Have always wanted to try socks - you have inspired me to start.

    ReplyDelete